Skip to main content

Book Review - 'The Sun Is Also A Star' By Nicola Yoon

Hello new and fellow readers!
This post is my first proper Young Adult (YA) book review. The book I am reviewing is 'The Sun Is Also A Star' by Nicola Yoon.

General Information
'The Sun I Also A Star'  has 344 pages.
It is a Romantic with a bit of Adventure YA Fiction book.
Age Recommendation: 15+ or possibly 14+ if a strong reader and okay at understanding romance.
NOTE: There is strong language and romance.

My Review
I was at a library waiting for a bus and had left my current book that I was reading at home. I had a long wait so I was looking at some books and this one caught my eye. I thought I would just read a little bit of it then leave but I was wrong indeed. I borrowed it and just read it and read it. I couldn't stop! Honestly though, I personally found it a bit boring in the middle. The start will definitely catch the reader's attention. Throughout the middle it gets quite boring as it drags out so much in one day. Almost the whole book is based on one day but the last 8 pages have a massive year difference. Towards the end the intensity, adrenaline and emotions are higher. The reader will absolutely WANT the characters to have a happy ending. One thing that I found annoying is that something extremely heart-warming happens and all of a sudden the book ends. This book is a book that gives you the I DONT WANT THIS BOOK TO END feeling. Something that makes this book unique and different from others is that it has included extra chapters such as family history, general history plus other random chapters that link with the book. Towards the end I could not put the book down. I just  had to continue reading. 'The Sun Is Also A Star' is a very attracting book that will make the reader desperately want to know more about each character, how certain events will shape their life and what the future holds for each character.

My Overall Rating
My Overall rating for 'The Sun is Also A Star' is ⭐⭐⭐AND A HALF STARS.
My reasoning behind this is for most reasons said in the review above but mostly because it drags on the events into one day with over 300 pages which made the book a bit boring in the middle. I believe it would have been better if Nicola had stretched the number of events out into a few days not all jam packed into one. Although, I do understand why it has been done this way as it adds intensity to the story.

Brief Description
'The Sun Is Also A Star' has 2 main characters which are named Natasha and Daniel. Each chapter tells their point of view of what is happening. Natasha is Jamaican and has one little brother as well as a mother and father. Natasha's father dream is to be a Broadway Star but it turns out they are illegal immigrants . The book is set that it's Natasha's final day in America before departing back to America. Daniel is Korean but was born in America. He has an older brother called Charlie. The best way to describe Charlie and his personality is that he is a selfish idiot. Daniel's family owns a 'Black Hair Care" store. Natasha and Daniel meet miraculously because of time of events. Natasha attends an appointment to try and get her deportation turned down. Daniel has an interview to apply for a collage. Romance kicks in and Daniel persuades Natasha to love her.

'The Sun Is Also A Star' is a great read and a recommendation from me!
I can't wait to see the movie! (Definitely recommend reading this book before watching the movie).

Thank you ❤
Sophie x

Instagram: @bookreviewsbysophiemcc
Email: bookreviewsbysophiemcc@gmail.com

To find out more about Nicola Yoon and her books, you can visit her website here:
http://www.nicolayoon.com/  (Pictures accessed from there).

Comments

Popular Reviews

'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz' Book Review

Welcome back to 'Book Reviews By Sophie McC.' The book I will be reviewing in this blog post is, 'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz.' General Information 'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz' is Fiction but based on a true story. The author is Heather Morris and the book was published last year in 2018. 'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz' is telling Lale Sokolov's story as being one of the prisoners in the Auschwitz concentration camp at the time of WWII There are 270 pages. Age recommendation - Because this book is based on real events that happened, it may affect many people. My age recommendation is around 14+ but keep in mind that some of the reading may be distressful. Brief Description 'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz' is telling the story of real-life Holocaust survivor, Lale Sokolov. The book tells his story about when he was on the train to the concentration camp, when he entered the camp, how he became the tattooist, the story of his love life plus ma

Email Me!

Name

Email *

Message *