Skip to main content

Book Review - 'The Secret Garden'

Welcome back!
Merry Christmas to you all! I hope you have had a wonderful Christmas!
In this post I will be reviewing the book 'The Secret Garden' by 'Frances Hodgson Burnett.'

My Review
As a child I was a confident reader so for one of my birthday presents I received 'The Secret Garden' and fell in love with it instantly. The plot is so beautifully set. Also, I love how Frances has expressed the characters and their personalities as well as each "scene." When reading the book I could easily picture the characters and the events that were happening.

'The Secret Garden' is such a delightful old classic that will make the reader turn each page with joy.

Frances Hodgson Burnett
My Overall Rating is ⭐⭐⭐⭐ STARS. My reasoning is that I remember reading the very beginning of the book and found it quite boring but as I keep reading each chapter the book became more and more interesting and joyful. My recommendation for who should read this book is ages 9+ (or 8+)
If you have never read 'The Secret Garden' before I definitely recommend that you get a copy in your hands!

Brief Description
'The Secret Garden' is set in the early 20th century (Around 1911) in India and Yorkshire, England.
This is the edition/copy that I have!

The main character (Mary,) her parents have died in India because of a disease. Mary had servants who looked after her. Mary was quite spoiled. Eventually she was sent to live with her uncle in a mansion like house. Whilst at the mansion there is nothing to do. Mary's maid tells her about The Secret Garden. Mary goes outside to try and find the garden. She meets the gardener and finds out that no-one has seemed to find a door to the garden. Back at the mansion, Mary thinks she has heard someone crying. Which in fact is another secret that Mary doesn't know about. After a while, Mary comes across the key of the door, finds the door and discovers The Secret Garden. The garden is quite dead. There are no living plants in it. Throughout the book, Mary meets many characters such as Dickon, the boy who can talk to animals. And Colin, the boy who was crying in the corridor and is extremely ill and close to dying. Mary, Dickon and Colin bring the garden back to life. The children also help Colin get well again and be able to walk. They believe that it's magic.

This is all I will say as I don't want to give too much away. The secret about the garden you will found out once you have read the book.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate you all for reading my blog!
Sophie x

Email: bookreviewsbysophiemcc@gmail.com
Instagram: @bookreviewsbysophiemcc

Photo Credits:
Harper Collins Publishers, Penguin Shop, Goodreads

Comments

Popular Reviews

'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz' Book Review

Welcome back to 'Book Reviews By Sophie McC.' The book I will be reviewing in this blog post is, 'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz.' General Information 'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz' is Fiction but based on a true story. The author is Heather Morris and the book was published last year in 2018. 'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz' is telling Lale Sokolov's story as being one of the prisoners in the Auschwitz concentration camp at the time of WWII There are 270 pages. Age recommendation - Because this book is based on real events that happened, it may affect many people. My age recommendation is around 14+ but keep in mind that some of the reading may be distressful. Brief Description 'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz' is telling the story of real-life Holocaust survivor, Lale Sokolov. The book tells his story about when he was on the train to the concentration camp, when he entered the camp, how he became the tattooist, the story of his love life plus ma

Email Me!

Name

Email *

Message *